Frequently Asked Questions
Please note that there is also a wealth of information about computing at Virginia Tech located at http://www.computing.vt.edu.
You will find help and tutorials, information about
the computing services offered at VT, information
about web access and e-mail, and much more. If you
don't find what you are looking for here, you may find it there. Also, if you have a question that you feel belongs on
this page, please contact CNSWebmaster@vt.edu so that we can add it!
You may contact 4HELP at 231-HELP (4357) from off-campus, 4-HELP (4357) from on-campus, or you may submit a support ticket online.
- Calling Cards
- How do I get International Calling Capability added to my calling card so I can make international calls?
- What do I do if I encounter difficulties placing a call from an overseas location?
- How do I get a new card?
- Cable TV on campus
- Where would I find Virginia Tech's cable TV listings?
- Is there any way to add stations to the VT cable TV lineup?
- The quality of the cable reception on campus is poor. Is there anything you can do about it?
- How long should the University keep billing records?
- How do I change my billing address?
- Is there any way to check the balance on the phone bill that will be distributed next month?
- I have a question about my bill. Who should I contact?
- General Network and Connectivity
- General Network Questions
- Modem Pool
- Network Adapters
- Servers and Listservs
- My phone doesn't seem to be working, how can I get it fixed?
- How do I make long distance calls from campus?
- What are Virginia Tech's long distance rates?
- What are Virginia Tech's international calling rates?
- Interdepartmental Communications Request (ICR)
- Can multiple service requests be made with a single ICR?
- Yes, so long as all services listed in the single ICR are paid via the same Customer Account Number (CAN)
- What is the Username and Password for the ICR?
- Users who have been registered will use their PID and PID password.
- Need to register for submitting ICRs? Complete and Return the ICR Authorization Form
- When will the ICR actually be submitted on-line?
- Work requested by an ICR cannot be scheduled until the signed form is received (either paper, fax, or PDF).
- Do I always need to put something in the Order Description box?
- No. This box should be used for brief remarks that identify related ICRs for a given project or that clarify what’s being ordered.
- Why do I get a message that says the page can't be displayed?
- There may be a brief problem with your network connection or with the Customer OnLine Access (COLA) server. Refresh your browser and try again. If it repeats, contact 4Help via 4help.vt.edu or call 540-231-4357.
- Where do I find the ICR form?
- Is the ICR stored electronically?
- Abuse of the Network and Security
- What are the most common types of copyright infringement?
- How is someone notified when they have violated copyright?
- What happens after users are contacted by CNS
- What aree the possible "sanctions" for violating copyright with respect to the university?
- How can users avoid unknowingly violating copyright?
- Where an I find more copyright information regarding "electronic" works?
- Just how much trouble can a person get into over copyright infringement?