Commission on University Support
Information Technology Advisory Committee
Network Infrastructure and Services Advisory Sub-committee
Charge: To provide advice and counsel that assists in guiding, supporting and communicating Network Infrastructure and Services' (NI&S) strategic aims at Virginia Tech.
Current Environment for Network Infrastructure and Services: Rapid changes in technology, mobility, flexibility, and the nature of broadband infrastructure are changing the way the university community works. The university community's expectations and demand for the benefits of that technology continue to grow.
NI&S must understand and forecast the needs and identify leading-edge technological advances and make them available to the university community. Access to next-generation network technologies, protocols, services, and applications is critical, as the university pursues top-tier research status; strives to create a modern, technology-enriched, learning environment; and fulfills its outreach mission to improve the quality of life for the Commonwealth's citizens.
NI&S collaborates with Information Technology's Research Computing, Learning Technologies, Enterprise Systems, and the Information Technology Security Office to provide network management, support, and centralized services emphasizing security and reliability to the entire university community.
Network Infrastructure and Services includes the following centers of activity:
- Communications Network Services
- Video Broadcast Services
- Computing Support
- Data Storage
- Virginia Tech Operation Center
The sub-committee will advise and assist the NI&S leadership as they:
- Establish strategic direction for technological solutions to enable Virginia Tech to accomplish its mission for instruction, research, and outreach.
- Determine how NI&S operating units can better meet the needs of the university community.
- Identify and adopt technology solutions that meet current needs, anticipate future demands, and address a combination of performance, availability, reliability and security.
- Emphasize integrated information technology strategies to advance the university's overall excellence and to maximize its competitive advantage in the digital economy.
Sub-committee Membership and Activity:
- Members will be invited to serve on the advisory committee by the Associate Vice President for Network Infrastructure and Services.
- The sub-committee's size will remain small enough to encourage fluid interaction and discussion.
- Members will serve for two years with the possibility of reappointment and with staggered, rotating appointments that allow for continuity of operations and historical perspective.
- Members will meet approximately twice each semester to discuss Network Infrastructure and Services' aims and challenges and will receive a request for agenda items prior to each meeting.
- Members will also meet approximately twice each year to discuss overarching aims and challenges related to the Office of Information Technology's goals at Virginia Tech. These meetings will offer opportunities for integrated discussions among the advisory committees within the Office of Information Technology — Learning Technologies, Network Infrastructure and Services, Security, Research, and Enterprise Systems.
Network Infrastructure and Services' senior staff will participate in sub-committee meetings with all other staff available to contribute as needed.